One of the most disregarded home maintenance issues is your roof. There are a wide variety of issues that affect your roof. Think of your roof as the blanket on your bed. It protects you from the elements, keeps you dry and warm as you sleep. When it performs like it’s supposed to no one thinks about it. However, when it fails, or doesn’t deliver as expected, it can be frustrating and costly.
There are several things that can lead to roof maintenance issues. Among them:
- Holes in your roof that you may not even know about. Severe weather, hail, high winds and snow can lift metal flashing and shingles up pushing water, or element damage underneath. Lifted shingles need to be nailed down and resealed. Loose flashing is a concern for leaks and exposure to the elements.
- High winds can sponsor debris that can penetrate your roof and open holes in the roof. Insects and small animals can penetrate these holes and cause serious problems and damage within the attic and roofline. Holes in the roofline also compromise your heating and cooling integrity.
- Asphalt shingles have small granules (you can find them in your gutters) that absorb UV radiation and protect your roof from the weather. When granules fall off the integrity of your shingles is in jeopardy. Bald spots can occur and you can begin having roof problems from leaks to damaged shingles and roof decking.
- Shrinking shingles and tiles can occur when your roofing did not take these weather related factors into consideration When shrinking occurs shingles and tiles can break or fall off and create leakage.
- Aging gutters can cause serious roofing problems. If your gutters are blocked, or aren’t draining properly they can send water back through the shingles and under the roofline. Regular gutter maintenance will help protect your roof.
- Overgrown trees can cause a variety of roofing problems. Tiles, shingles and flashing can be damaged on your roof when trees are too big and contact your roofline. Homes with overgrown tree canopies are very susceptible to damage.
Gilstrap Roofing has been a family owned and operated business serving the Upstate and Midlands of South Carolina since 1935. We welcome your questions, and scrutiny in searching for a roofing contractor. We are a full service roofing contractor with an A+ BBB rating.